[TenTec] Paragon Improvements

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon Improvements
From: sdprat@worldnet.att.net (Scott Prather)
Date: Sun Feb 2 23:42:13 2003
Mark-I have a very early Paragon (S/N 0024X) and a late one (S/N 102XX).
The main difference between the two is on the LPF board.  The early Paragon
used reed relays to select the LPF, this was a very expensive way to switch
filters!  They later switched to a really cheap frame-type relay, which they
kept into the Paragon II.  The traces for the LPF are completely different
between the two because of this change.  They also added a mod to the PBT
board on the later Paragon to minimize the amount of hiss in the RX audio,
especially on quiet bands (this was a problem on the Omni V as well).  The
older Paragon doesn't have this mod, but it doesnn't need it as much,
because it seems quieter stock than the modified later Paragon.  I believe
the rest of the radio is the same.  BTW, my Paragon II has a S/N in the
103XX range.

Scott
N7NB