[TenTec] Omni VI 9MHz IF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI 9MHz IF
From: ken.d.brown@verizon.net (Ken Brown)
Date: Sun Feb 2 23:13:23 2003
Chester wrote:

>The Omni 6 has five filter selection buttons. The first three, left to
>right, are for selecting the filters you install in the 6MHz IF. The
>second two buttons are for selecting the filters in the 9MHz IF.
>
>Mine also has five filter selection buttons: the first FOUR are for 6.3 MHz IF
>filter selection and there is only one NAR button for the single optional 9
>MHz filter.
>
>You can turn on one or all of them at the
>same time.

Wow! Very interesting, are they really being cascaded? On my radio I can
only select one of the four 6.3 MHz IF filters at a time.

>Then there are two more
>slots for you to buy optional filters for the 9MHz IF.

So I guess if I get the board that allows three total (one standard and
two optional) 9 MHz filters, I will no longer be able select from all
 four of the filters in my 6.3 MHz IF? My radio has four filters in the
6.3 MHz IF and  only one can be switched in at a time. The 2.4  kHz
filter in the 6.3 MHz IF is not cascaded with the narrower 6.3 Mhz
filters, it is only used  when it is the selected one.

> These two slots
>are optional bandwidth's of your choice. On the Passband Tuning Board
>(PBT),or the 6MHz IF, you have a standard 2.4kc filter and three
>additional optional filter slots. The standard filter is not switchable,
>but all of the three optional filter slots are switchable.

In my radio it is the 2.4 kHz filter in the 9 MHz IF that is in circuit
no matter what other filters are selected. If the one and only optional
9 MHz filter is selected then the 2.4 kHz and narrow optional filter are
cascaded for receive.

Very interesting. I did not expect so many differences.

Ken N6KB