[TenTec] Public Opinion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Public Opinion
From: csturner@slonet.org (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Tue Feb 4 17:54:49 2003
On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 01:46 PM, KE4TEG wrote:

> This is Ten-Tec and not some Jap company we are typing about. You do
> not see

I, for one, prefer that we do not engage in this kind language.  It
offends me personally.  I am not even sure what you mean by it.

> Icom or Kenwood taking pre-orders because Hams would not stand for it.
> And

Yaesu is taking preorders right now for their 857.  I suppose they have
not mounted an effort like Ten Tec with the Orion, but is that relevant
to the discussion?

> Ten-Tec is an American company, the only major US company selling
> Amateur
> Radios. If they have made it this long, stands to reason they will be
> around
> in the near as well as far future with the Orion as an active product.

This is a good thing, I really appreciate it.  However, there is just no
need to slam the other companies or other countries in order to make the
point.  Ten Tec stands proudly for itself, it does not need the other
companies to lose in order to look good.

I am a happy owner of Ten Tec's since 1971.  I've bought several new
radios from them over the years, currently have the OMNI VI, Corsair I,
Corsair II and OMNI C, not to mention my Hercules II that sits in the
corner waiting for some new QTH where I might set it up :-) .  However,
I am also a happy owner of several Kenwood and Yaesu radios.  They are
fine radios.  Their service departments are even fine when I deal with
them, and I have personal experiences with free advice on the phone, and
free parts when something goes wrong (mostly from Kenwood!)  I have no
problem with all this, I do not count myself as a Ten Tec "fan" but as
an engineer / user who chooses their products for specific reasons.

I fancy myself an engineer.  Therefore, I look at tradeoffs made in the
designs and implementations of those designs.  The different
manufacturers (and even different radios) make those tradeoffs
differently.  No one radio is "best" to my way of thinking and no radio
is "worst" but each has a place and under certain conditions it will
show its strength.

My 2 cents.

Clark
WA3JPG