[TenTec] playing with the Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] playing with the Corsair II
From: calderman@cox.net (Chester)
Date: Wed Feb 5 17:36:47 2003
Tim,

        Be careful!! The Ten Tec BUG is about ready to bite you! The
more you tinker with the Corsair, the more your gonna like the thing.

        I'm not familiar with the Omni V, but in the Omni 6 and 6+,
there were some reports of chirp on the CW signals. I think it was
either N4LQ or W9AC that investigated and found out that the CW carrier
was set very close to the skirt of the 2.4kc filter. The cure for the
chirp was to replace the 2.4kc filter with a 2.8kc filter. Not only did
that eliminate the chirp, it gave you a little more bandwidth for SSB
operation as well. However, I have never heard of that chirp being a
problem in the Corsair II.

        I bought an Omni 6 in '92, and had the Option 3 installed
somewhere around '94, but N4LQ said that I had one of the few Omni 6's
that did not have that chirp. Most of the time I ran my Titan amp with
the Omni, so it sure would have shown up if my rig had it.

        The Corsair II really never needed much changing to it, except I
just hated that raspy CW monitor tone. In every Corsair II I've owned,
I've done something to improve the CW sidetone, but rarely anything
else.

        I would suggest you not do anything to your Corsair II until
after you get your Omni 6 Opt.3. Then I bet your Corsair II will not be
turned on very often!

Tom/W4BQF

Chester Alderman
calderman@cox.net