[TenTec] Pegasus and Heathkit SB220 amp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and Heathkit SB220 amp
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Tue Feb 25 22:09:21 2003
Or you could also build up an interface of your own,
probably for less than $10 or so.

For the RX/TX keying of my transverters and/or
amplifiers I use the EXT T/R jack on back of the
Pegasus into a Radio Shack reed relay (part #
275-233), it's coil is spec'd as being ~11ma at 12V,
so it is a very small load on the Pegasus. I use one
of the 13.8V RCA acc jacks on the back of the Pegasus
for the + voltage side the relay coil and let the EXT
T/R pull it to ground, I also include the diode to
supress the reverse voltage spikes from the relay coil
when it opens.

The RS 275-233 relay's contacts are only rated at 1A @
125VAC though so you will need to look for another
relay with a higher contact rating or use the 275-233
to drive a second higher current relay. I have no idea
what the keying circuit current of the SB220 is, so
you'll need to find that out from the SB220 manual's
specifications or measure it yourself.

The Pegasus manual rates the EXT T/R jack for 200ma @
24V max, so any relay coil rated below that level
should do the trick.

Duane
N9DG

http://www.harbachelectronics.com/reference/harpg3cart.htm