[TenTec] Some Argo 515 questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Some Argo 515 questions
From: genewill@ordata.com (genewill@ordata.com)
Date: Sun Mar 9 10:54:35 2003
I'm discovering the joys of a vintage Argonaut 515. I have some questions
the manual doesn't answer, and I haven't found in the reflector archives:

1. On 40m CW I hear both sides of zero beat, about equally; on 20m CW the
unwanted side is audible, but quite far down in strength. Is this normal?

2. A "T" voltage is brought out to the accessory connector on the rear
panel. Can this be used with a relay to drive an amp correctly -- i.e.,
with enough lead time before RF appears to avoid hot-switching? Can
someone point me to a circuit?

3. As I read the schematic, the 208A audio filter connects through the
accessory port into/before the AGC loop, for superior filtering. Can a
filter such as the Autek QF-1A be connected there and also function
correctly?

4. Is the 405 amp hard-keyed or RF-activated? Does it use a mechanical T/R
relay or transistor/diode switching? Any reason (other than cosmetics) it
should be preferred to a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-200Bdx or other small
solid-state PA?

TU for any help. I find the 515 every bit as fun to operate as my ArgoV,
albeit not quite as convenient. But then, so's the C/22 ....

73 Gene N7YW
99.44% CW since 1958 (ex-K7DBV)

P.S. Still looking for 206A, 208A, 210A! Check your closets!!