[TenTec] More on rig tests, choice etc

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] More on rig tests, choice etc
From: w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare,Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Sun Mar 9 16:24:21 2003
There are a lot of factors that would go into what makes a rig "sound good."
Probably the most important is the intermod that takes place within the
receiver's
passband.  In recent rigs, the expanded reports contain a graph that shows how
two or more strong signals inside the passband intermod and form third- and
higher-order responses also in the passband.

On SSB, the various frequency components of a human voice can intermix,
resulting in distortion.  Also, the audio chain can have some distortion. If a
signal were to have 1% total harmonic distortion, that would be quite
discernable
to many people.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI