[TenTec] HELP!! Titan 425 Band switch flakey

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] HELP!! Titan 425 Band switch flakey
From: althofft@concentric.net (Tom A)
Date: Tue Mar 11 03:45:05 2003
Problem solved.  I found that the switch itself was coming apart.  The nuts
that hold the ceramic wafers together on the band switch had come loose and
the entire assembly flexed as I rotated the knob.   They would have fallen
off completely had I not opened up the box and tightened them.

What a tight fit!   You need to remove the plastic shaft coupling to the
phenolic shaft that turns the tuned input band switch.  It slides back and
can get lost inside the pressurised final assembly.  I barely got it back
out with a small screwdriver...don't know how much profanity I would have
used if I had to remove the tubes and sub-chassis.

The grease on the detent balls had dried out causing above normal rotation
resistance which may have contributed to the flexing and loosening of the
nuts.   I regreased the balls and put the cover back on.

So beware.. if your band switch on your Titan 425 gets "wobbly" or exhibits
play.   The wafer nuts might be coming loose.

73 de Tom K2TA