[TenTec] Astatic D104 mic and Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Astatic D104 mic and Pegasus
From: w4chl@mindspring.com (Mark W4CHL)
Date: Wed Mar 12 00:18:08 2003
Folks,

Before I do something really ill-advised, a question:

? Is it wise to install an Astatic D-104 mic with the TUP9SE amp on the Pegasus
front-panel mic jack ?

This mic "looks like a radio station microphone should" says my
(X)YL, the Pegasus however doesn't "look like a radio".

So for visitors, including the special visits by the (X)YL and
the kids to the shack, I was going to hook the Astatic D-104
to the Pegasus (its companion radio long ago left the shack).
I see that the Pegasus is spec'd for mics with 5mv (-67db)
output, the Astatic mic has an amplified -20db output.

Am I begging trouble by connecting the two ?  I'll start with
the mic gain pot turned completely counterclockwise, but will
that be enough to prevent overdrive of the Pegasus ?

Never gave this a thought before on the older rigs (TS-520S was
the last I hooked to this mic), thought I'd ask advice this time!

Cheers & 73s de Mark W4CHL