[TenTec] Field Day GOTA Station - Scout Drifting!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Field Day GOTA Station - Scout Drifting!
From: wb2vuf@qsl.net (Bwana Bob)
Date: Wed Mar 19 20:14:19 2003
Strange... so many different  experiences. My Scout will toggle up and
down about 10 Hz (just barely noticeable) as the FLS corrects the PTO
when using the internal keyer, but with a straight key it had a fast,
steady drift, which was really bad until it warmed up. I think that heat
from the final was creeping along the chassis side rail and heating up
the PTO. Putting in the mod described in QST fixed the problem, although
I'm still tinkering with the temperature compensation caps.

Maybe there were a couple of versions of Scout software that handled the
FLS differently. I wish Ten Tec would publish service bulletins.

Still, I've used the Scout portable on vacation and field day with great
success.

The only time mine drifted on SSB was when I had a loose and corroded
crimp connection at the vehicle battery. Now I solder all lugs onto the
power cables and I am replacing the fuses and holders with auto types.

                        73,

                        Bob WB2VUF