[TenTec] Good time to test the Orion...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Good time to test the Orion...
From: nq5t@attbi.com (nq5t@attbi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 14:32:10 2003
> under "contest" conditions?  How well do the IF bandpass filters work?
>  Can you hear those "little gun" QRP'ers running <3KHz away from the
> monster "Kilowatt" stations?

The filtering seems to work extremely well.  It took a while to figure
out the effect and use for the  HI/LOW cut control (a bit different that
the PBT on my now gone IC-781), but I found some situations on 20
today where it nicely helped things out.  Basically provides a single
control method of tweaking bandwidth and PB position at the same
time.

> Any signs of DSP overload (digital noise
> on signal peaks)?

No, none, nada.  Everything is nice and clean..

How well does the bandscope work?

Fine ... although, frankly, I have never found these things to be all
that terribly useful.  Rarely used the one on my 781, other than a
visual verifcation that my antenna switch was in the right position.

> How's the audio sound?  And, if you do get a mic hooked
> up, how does the audio sound <g>?

Sounds great on both transmit (Studio One) and receive.  I REALLY
like the panoramic receive feature.  Oddly, it didn't seem to be
working at first.  But I switched to the sub receiver and set it up
there and it was fine.  Then went back to the MAIN, and lo and
behold it was working there, too.  Some sticky bit or other didn't
want to get set ....

There's one major downside to this radio.  My office is in my home,
and is right next to the radio room.  I'm not getting much work done
today :-)

Grant