[TenTec] limited Orion reviews?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] limited Orion reviews?
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Sat Apr 19 00:25:24 2003

> AC5E commented "And for those who are interested, if
> you have two antenna systems, the Orion is essentially
> two rigs in one box."
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the
> Orion is completely deaf when transmitting.

Exactamente!

>SO2R
> contest stations tune the bands on the second radio
> while transmitting on the main radio, and this can't
> be done with the Orion's subreceiver for example.

But, what can be done in the absence of answers to your CQ's on the main
radio is to tune the subreceiver for the two or three seconds between CQ's
for a new station/mult to work.

Definitely not as effective as SO2R, but if one radio is all you have, there
you are.

I posed the question to Scott, W4PA, as soon as the announcement of the
radio came out.  He confirmed that it could not hear while transmitting.  It
would drive the cost of the radio up out of the market to be able to have
that capability in one radio -- filters, isolation and all that.

73,
dale, kg5u