[TenTec] Rock-bound & snivlin' (was 60M)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Rock-bound & snivlin' (was 60M)
From: kw0d@netexpress.net (Dave Kamp, KW0D)
Date: Fri May 16 13:29:39 2003
Dennis wrote:
>   Having been a ham for over 35 years, I will ignore this band as it is now
>proposed. I left crystal operation behind long ago as a novice in 1970 and
do
>not intend to return to it now 33 years later. Someone at the FCC needs to
>get their head out of the sand and realize this is 2003! This proposal only
>makes someone look very, very foolish. And if we jump on this as acceptable,
>maybe the FCC will think it would fly on our other bands??? Think about that
>one for awhile! Wanna go CB on 160 and 80?

Hang on, Dennis!  Take a closer look at 97.303 section (s)- it doesn't have
ANY requirement demanding crystal operation.  The suggestion of rock-bound
was simply because VFO operation wouldn't be necessary... furthermore, many
of the old CAP tube-rigs (already USB in the 4.3Mhz range) would be
shoe-ins for this particular allocation.

"
(s) An amateur station having an operator holding a General, Advanced or
Amateur Extra Class
license may only transmit single sideband, suppressed carrier, (emission
type 2K8J3E) upper sideband on
the channels 5332 kHz, 5348 kHz, 5368 kHz, 5373 kHz, and 5405 kHz. Amateur
operators shall ensure
that their transmission occupies only the 2.8 kHz centered around each of
these frequencies.
Transmissions shall not exceed an effective radiated power (e.r.p) of 50 W
PEP. For the purpose of
computing e.r.p. the transmitter PEP will be multiplied with the antenna
gain relative to a dipole or the
equivalent calculation in decibels. A half wave dipole antenna will be
presumed to have a gain of 0 dBd.
Licensees using other antennas must maintain in their station records
either manufacturer data on the
antenna gain or calculations of the antenna gain. No amateur station shall
cause harmful interference to
stations authorized in the mobile and fixed services; nor is any amateur
station protected from
interference due to the operation of any such station.
"

Really guys-  someone offers you some spectrum... just TAKE IT.  If you
don't make use of it, fine-  there's other spectrum out there that isn't in
serious popular use (some of the WARC, 220, 5ghz and up, etc), but there's
quite a few that'll put it in service.   Remember that this allocation was
requested from already-allocated spectrum, and for a specific purpose,
rather than general hamming.  We shouldn't have any problems managing and
making-due with the technical aspects. The latter half of (s) just reminds
us that we're not the only users of the segment, and that we're responsible
for playing-nice with others, so no fighting, and no jumping on the furnature.

DK  :-)
73's from KW0D Dave in LeClaire, Iowa