[TenTec] IC-7800

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] IC-7800
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Sat May 17 12:30:29 2003
The Corsair II and VI/3 are on.  No worries here : )

As far as I know, most about the 7800 is not yet common knowledge--I have
not even seen what the rear panel looks like.  I imagine the specs will be
out soon.  I'm looking forward to finding out the price--will it be another
$8K rig like the IC-781(?  I think it was the 781 that had the CRT in 1988).

For now, re the front panel, I much prefer real, electromechanical, analog
meters for most applications.  I'd rather have one of them than two LCD
display graphic meters.  Since it's pretty much a given that the Orion is a
fixed station rig, TT could satisfy the color display folks by offering a
color display through a pc interface or modifying the rig to accept an
outboard flatscreen LCD monitor via a rear panel jack.  You go out and buy a
15" LCD monitor (they're getting relatively cheap now) put it on top of the
rig, plug it in and boom--color monitor.   And big enough to read across the
room too.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com