[TenTec] Re: [TenTec_Orion] Re: IC-7800 Product Literature

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [TenTec_Orion] Re: IC-7800 Product Literature
From: n4xy@earthlink.net (Ed Tanton)
Date: Sun May 18 00:16:56 2003
And... that's interesting... I had always figured they used them cuz they
were cheaper. SOMEDAY I'm going to build my own somewhat-simple, very
band-optimized, small superhet receiver. I have several BUNCHES of crystals
I have gotten 50 or 100 of cheaply on ebay, that'll come in handy. Plus,
back when Collins introduced that new line of crystal filters, and would
sell you one for $25-$35 (as I recall) in onesies, I got a 200Hz (maybe a
little wider-I forget) from them with this sort of thing in mind. I'll file
away THIS piece of info for use in it, since I also have several ceramics
I've picked up over the years-and Hosfelt has all you could want.

At 08:35 PM 2003-05-17, you wrote:

>Thanks for this reference, Paul, which I unfortunately received and read
>after posting my previous response to you.
>
>Despite Mr. Inoue's statement of over two years ago that no new Icom
>products would use analog crystal or mechanical filters, it does appear that
>the 7800 reduces the roofing filter bandwidth to 6 kHz for all but FM
>operation.
>
>Mea culpa for passing along incorrect information, if indeed the 6 kHz
>filter is crystal or mechanical. The PROs use ceramic filters for roofing
>due to their lower insertion loss and lower distortion. Perhaps, the 7800
>does also.
>
>Interesting report - thanks again for pointing it out.
>
>73/72, George
>Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
>Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
>"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
><mailto:w5yr@att.net>

73 Ed Tanton N4XY <n4xy@earthlink.net>

Ed Tanton N4XY
189 Pioneer Trail
Marietta, GA 30068-3466

website: http://www.n4xy.com

All emails <IN> & <OUT> checked by
Norton AntiVirus with AutoProtect

LM: ARRL QCWA AMSAT & INDEXA;
SEDXC NCDXA GACW QRP-ARCI
OK-QRP QRP-L #758 K2 (FT) #00057

"He that gives up a little liberty to gain
temporary security will lose both and
deserve neither".
--Benjamin Franklin

"Suppose you were an idiot ...