[TenTec] Quietness/Apparent Sensitivity

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Quietness/Apparent Sensitivity
From: wa2pvk@msn.com (WILLIAM MANSEY)
Date: Mon May 19 23:01:08 2003
This reminds me of my younger days back in the sixties and seventies when
various manufacturers advertised "Powerful" receivers!  They were not
referring to audio output either!  Another BIG selling point was how many
transistors and diodes were in the radio!  For the most part these were NOT
ham radio manufacturers but I do seem to recall that some of these
"powerful" receivers were of the Shortwave variety.
I will admit that the preceding is off topic BUT amusing none the less!  I
have noticed, also, that the Orion enables me to hear very weak signals
indeed!  In my case this means signals that I most likely will not be able
to work since I am not using an "afterburner" and/or beam antennas.  But I
have been pleasantly surprised on more than a few occasions when I heard a
reply even though I held out little, or no, hope of success.  I do, however,
appreciate a great receiver and the Orion contains TWO of them!  I have said
this before and will mention it again - Using both receivers, controlled by
the same VFO, on two separate antennas (of differing polarization & on
opposite sides of the house) yields EXCELLENT results.  This "diversity
reception" is fantastic.  It sounds interesting when using headphones and
having each receiver's audio routed to one of the ear pieces.  It sounds as
if the signal travels through your head as it fades on one side and
strengthens on the other.  The diversity feature has put QSB on the
endangered species list as far as I am concerned.  73, Bill