[TenTec] RE: Experience with UPS and ham rigs

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Experience with UPS and ham rigs
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 21 15:25:32 2003
Since it's been suggested - I have tried several "small"  375-425 VA UPS on
an Omni VI -  usually to allow us to operate FD while the generators were
shut down. The setups were Astron 35's powering the rig and a keyer, and the
usual result was a blown UPS fuse within a few seconds of changeover - and in
one case a well fried UPS.

I think the problem is with the really poor output of the cheaper UPS, since
a couple of "pure sine wave" 1500 VA UPS did quite well. But those big boy's
are a long way from cheap.

And, one more thing. You definitely want to proved forced air ventilation for
any unsealed lead acid battery you might be using. A little accumulated
hydrogen makes a big bang.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E