[TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup
From: efricha@dimensional.com (Eric F. Richards)
Date: Wed May 21 23:19:29 2003
At 05:04 PM 5/21/2003 -1000, Ken Brown wrote:
>I do not know whether there is an "industry standard" for rating UPSs. It
>may be that every manufacturer has their own unique way of rating that
>cannot be compared directly with others. Sort of like antenna
>manufacturers' gain figures. In any case, what I have seen in some UPS
>ratings is that the "Power Rating" is the maximum power the inverter can
>deliver, and the "Time rating" is how long it can provide 50% of the
>"power rating" when the AC mains power drops out, assuming that the
>batteries are in real good condition and fully charged when the AC mains drop.

Well part of the problem is that a UPS delivers VA and equipment is rated
in Watts, so they fudge a little on the power factor.

I can't help but wonder if the best solution for the original poster is to
simply look for a UPS that uses 12 v gel cels as the backup source and draw
from them directly.  (Assuming properly sized UPS batteries, of course...)