[TenTec] Off center knobs

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Off center knobs
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu May 22 07:55:28 2003
At 04:04 AM 5/22/03 +0000, you wrote:
>For the record, the fit and finish of the Orion is as good as any radio I've
>owned.  It's extremely well done.
>
>One thing I really like about the control arrangement, is that there are NO
>analog controls on the panel.  ALL of the rotating controls are shaft
>encoders.  No pots to wear out, or get scratchy -- and none of those little
>push-button mini-pot thingies.

I tend to agree about fit and finish, based on the unit I got close to at
Dayton.  I'm darned if I could detect any issue with the tuning
knobs.  Assuming these demo units go from show to show for a year or more,
they probably get more abuse than in anyone's shack.

Just a comment on shaft encoders, though.  The one thing that went really
haywire on my Mark 5 was the shaft encoder for the RIT.  They replaced it
within the warranty period, and now (after another year) the darn thing is
starting to go flakey again.  It is not optical, I was told, but rather a
mechanical encoder of some sort, and occasionally will jump a whole kHz
when tuning.  Not good.  I kinda think a good quality pot would be no worse...

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 9 May 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm