[TenTec] AUX and Mike Inputs on Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] AUX and Mike Inputs on Orion
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri May 23 17:33:20 2003
Orion owners,

Be careful specifying BOTH for the TX Audio Source
in the SSB menu;  that is both MIC and AUX inputs.

It probably says somewhere in the Orion manual to
turn the AUX input OFF before using the mike input
on SSB!!

I tried checking in to the Hawaii Afternoon Net yesterday
after fooling around a bit with MixW2 and PSK earlier in
the day.  No one could copy my signal;  various descriptions
of what they heard were given.

I could not imagine what was wrong with my Orion signal;
it just was not working.  Then I recalled from long ago
when I had a similar problem using an RTTY program which
had used the computer soundcard;  ah ha,  I thought.  So
checked the Orion menu,  turned down the AUX input
gain to zero;  and specified only MIC as the audio
source.  That fixed the problem;  my signal was reported
again as excellent!

Even though the PSK program was not running,  some sort
of distorting audio was exiting the computer sound card
and mixing with my MIC audio.

Surprised no one else has reported this;  guess I am the
only guy who didn't find a caution somewhere in the manual,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M