[TenTec] Orion AGC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion AGC
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat May 24 20:32:38 2003
Wonder how many of you have noticed the behavior
of the Orion AGC?  Unless you have very strong
signals coming in,  as S9 plus a bunch,  I do not
see any impact of the AGC at all!

Perhaps this is as it should be.  Doug Smith,  I believe,
has written that there is no AGC action,  at least in
the front end until at least S9 + 30 dB signals come
along.  Out here, there are no such signals.

Anyway,  no matter where I tune, nor mode,  I can find
no change in any signal "apparent" amplitudes when
I switch among AGC slow,  med,  fast, or off.
However,  selecting the AGC prog. setting absolutely
increases the evident IF system gain,  at least the
noise level noticibly increases,  but incoming signal
amplitudes do not seem to change.

Interesting..........

73,  Jim  KH7M