[TenTec] Orion in the WPX contest

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion in the WPX contest
From: n4py@earthlink.net (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Mon May 26 08:21:45 2003
I was also doing some Orion experimenting during the contest on the bottom
of 40 meters.
Between 7.000 and 7.006 there must have been 3 or 4 s9+20 signals.  What I
was
trying to do was find a very small hole amoung these signals where I could
use a tight filter and see how well the Orion would perform.  What I found
was to me truely amazing.  I was using a DSP filter of 170 hertz and the
tentec 219 250 hertz filter.  There is a 12 db insertion loss on the 250
filter, so when I engaged the 250 I also turned on the preamp to make up for
the difference.  First of all, I was easily able to hear and copy some S3
signals in this zone.  The Orion has the ability to knock out the unwanted
signals and produce a clear, quiet, zone in between.  Anyway, I could not
find any noticeable difference of adding the 250 filter to the 170 DSP.  I
was surprised at this and tried to be very careful to see if I could tell.
But adding the preamp to make up for the insertion loss made the background
noise sound identical to not having the roofing filter.  There may be cases
where the roofing filter helps over having the 1 K standard but I haven't
found one yet.  Maybe on 160 in the winter there will be an even larger
signal level difference and it will matter.  The bigger issue is keys clicks
from the big signal because you can't do anything about that.

I also compared the same signals with my rx340.  The rx340 has even steeper
skirts on its DSP filters in this range than the Orion.  But the rx340 could
not get these in between zones as quiet and small signals in these zones did
not sound clean and were almost impossible to copy because of what sounded
like a touch of intermod.  I think this is an indication of the IP3
intercept not being as good on the rx340 for close in signals.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC