[TenTec] Orion in the WPX contest

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion in the WPX contest
From: tjednacz@ieee.org (Thomas Jednacz)
Date: Mon May 26 13:41:41 2003

 "The bigger issue is keys clicks
from the big signal because you can't do anything about that."

Hi Carl and all - You can reduce what sounds like key clicks (actually
artifacts of the DSP algorithm) by using the wonderful notch. The notch is
calibrated so you can put it where the big station is transmitting. Notch
width and center freq both adjustable. I looked at a "waterfall" spectrum
and saw the notch moving across the pass band to where I wanted it.

I operated some in the contest also. Wow what a receiver! I was able to
completely eliminate a 40 over 9 signal 600 hz away by using the 250 hz
roofing filter, DSP set to 100 Hz and the notch and copy with ease an S3
signal. No pumping of AGC or anything in the background. Just nice clean
single signal copy!

I was also able to completely eliminate an S8 to S9 signal 100 Hz away from
and S3 signal. Never been able to do that before. I was shocked when I tuned
down a few Hz and all of a sudden the other signal was there.

Never heard any IMD or any "junk" in the background on a clear frequency
with the band full of 30 and 40 over 9 signals.

73, Tom, W7QF