[TenTec] Re: Why Ethernet?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Why Ethernet?
From: kd4znc@arrl.net (Jeff Modlin)
Date: Mon Jun 2 22:46:40 2003
I do not think the gist of the thread is to go from RF to VoIP on a
global scale.  Using a PC as a front end to a transceiver is an accepted
practice in the hobby. In my opinion, we are taking about an easy way to
be on the air without being in the shack and Ethernet is a common
technology that can meet that need.

Here in Florida, there are no basements (6 feet below grade you are 4
feet under water) or attics (we need big trusses to stop named storms
from ripping off our roofs) so equipment space is relegated to closets,
armoires and corners. How many of you Yankees have to sit in your
basements under an electric blanket in the winter to work the Sunday TT
Net?  It would be nice, very nice, to be able to work HF from anywhere
in the house that I can put a laptop. I believe it would encourage
people to use our bandwidth more often just because it would be more
convenient to do so.

73 de Jeff
KD4ZNC in Coral Springs, Florida USA
E-mail: ?KD4ZNC@arrl.net
Coordinates: 26? 14' 30'' N,??? 80? 15' 28'' W
Grid: EL96uf