[TenTec] FOR SALE:

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FOR SALE:
From: kd9bo@mac.com (Steve Weber)
Date: Wed Jun 4 18:05:39 2003
Mark and the group,

Part of the model identification problem is that tentec used four
sequential letters, A,B,C, and D, but for differing purposes.   It
would be logical to assume that the evolution of the line was in
A-B-C-D order, BUT IT IS NOT!!!

Therein lies the confusion.

The model NAME (not number) is configured as follows:

First, the model name, which is always OMNI.
Second, the readout type, which is either A or D.
Third, the word "series" if used. (The first run had no series name)
Fourth, the letter of the series if it had one - either B or C

The letter A refers to analog readout.  Always. Nothing else.

The letter D refers to digital readout.  Always. Nothing else.

The letter B refers to series B (the second version) Nothing else.

The letter C refers to series C (the third version) Nothing else.

So, the model generations are as follows:
------------------
First Generation:

OMNI A - (first generation analog readout.)
OMNI D - (first generation digital readout.)
-------------------

Second Generation:

OMNI A Series B - (second generation analog readout.)
Omni D Series B - (second generation digital readout.)
-------------------

Third Generation:

OMNI D Series C - (third generation digital readout.  Analog was not
offered, so a lot of folks just call this an Omni C. Just to confuse
the rest of us, I guess!)
-------------------

So how do you tell them apart without getting into model numbers?
Actually it is pretty simple.

The first (nothing) series had a squelch control just to the right of
the display. Second knob from the right, second row from the top.

The B Series eliminated the squelch control, replacing it with a
notch control in the same position.

The C Series had a pair of lever switches for filter selection in
that position.  It still had the notch, but that knob was now in the
far right position, second row from the top.

So, if it has a pair of switches for filter control, it's a Series C.
If you have a knob for the filters, and have a knob for a notch, it's a B.
And if you have a squelch, it does not have a series designation,
just OMNI A or OMNI D.

Sometimes you will see an OMNI with a sticker label under the notch
knob. Tentec made an upgrade available so that a series "nothing"
could be turned into a Series B.  I have one of those.

Clear as mud?  I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Steve KD9BO