[TenTec] Re: Orion rf gain and inherent noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion rf gain and inherent noise
From: kg6ena@cox.net (steve hammer)
Date: Sat Jun 7 18:13:55 2003
>From my point of view, it would seem the receiver should be quieter than
it is if all that noise you hear when the rf gain was turned down were
gone.  It would seem that the base level of white noise in the receiver
is quite high, but I am not an engineer or that technically inclined.
But, it would seem that listening to the receiver with the antenna off
and the rf gain all the way off you would hear the base level of noise
in the receiver.  If this level weren't there, would we be able to copy
weaker signals better?

I have mentioned this to the folks at tentec but as yet have not
received any reply yet.  They have been very responsive to my
"suggestions" so far.

steve
kg6ena