[TenTec] Tnx es my 2 cts ARRL Test Equipment

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tnx es my 2 cts ARRL Test Equipment
From: csturner@slonet.org (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Thu Jun 26 12:02:25 2003
On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 05:40 AM, James Duffer wrote:

>> Opinion: 1. a belief not based on certainty but on what seems true or
>> probable.  2. an evaluation, estimation, etc.  3. formal expert
>> judgment.
>
> Now that is a good one.  We know what an "expert" is, or at least as it
> was explained to me while serving in the U.S. Army.  You simply break
> the word expert down into its two parts, "ex" and "pert" (pronounced
> spurt).  Now the definition becomes obvious "ex" is a "has-been" and a
> "spurt" is a drip under pressure.  But seriously what is the basis of
> "formal expert judgement" ? Is it too much different that an evaluation
> or belief based on fact?  Lets not get this too convoluted by bringing
> in academia logic into the picture (fuzzy logic).

Do you mean this?  I hope its a joke.  I know a lot of people who refuse
to go to an M.D. or take antibiotics because they don't trust
"experts."  I see some real harm come from this attitude.  I will choose
an expert when I cannot understand the many variables of my situation
and I have found experts who are able to do good "science" are quite
helpful, and absolutely necessary at times.  An expert use of common
sense with a deeper knowledge of the given subject is just what I want.
Respecting receiver performance, I certainly do not understand all about
how the thing works and expert opinions help me to make logical choices
and better use of the receiver I have.  I learn a lot from expert
evaluations of rigs from the ARRL.

Clark
WA3JPG