[TenTec] Argonaut V - I did purchase

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V - I did purchase
From: kc8wr@bright.net (Mike)
Date: Sat Jul 19 22:53:44 2003
This comparison thing with the K2 and the Argo V is getting a little outa
hand really, don't you think?  Since they are two completely different
radios.  Each one being designed for a particular "niche".  The K2 is more
suited for portable operation, yes the Argo V can be used portable but not
as easily.  I believe the Argo V was designed for those who do not want to
build a kit but wanted something in the QRP class of radio with a few added
new features that are normally found only in higher priced equipment..  And
of course since TenTec built the first commercially available QRP rig, why
shouldn't it continue....the Argonauts where very well received and very
good radios....so the Argo V is a logical addition to the line.

The Argo V is designed to operate  "all mode".  The K2 is only CW, SSB and
Digital when completely assembled with some basic OPTIONS.   So you do not
get AM, FM or general coverage receive, the K2 just doesn't do those modes
and it wasn't designed to.

If and when there is a firmware change in the K2 you have to BUY a new chip
with whatever it is they have implemented.  With the Argo V you just
download the newest version, install it and do a master reset and you are in
business with the latest software.....FREE!

The basic K2 is CW only, that's $599.  You must add the SSB module
($89.00)for
Digital modes and SSB.  Those dual antenna inputs you mentioned....that
isn't in the BASIC K2
either.....that's part of the internal ATU option ($159.00). (That's
$847.00)

Now, lets see.  For a fully functional K2 you will need at least to add the
Noise Blanker, another $35.00 and for portable use at least the internal
battery, another $69.00.  Now, if you want to computer log your contacts or
control the radio, you need the KIO2....the interface, that's another $89.00
and the programming for the K2 software isn't even close to N4PY's software,
but that is after market, so we won't go there.  Oops, since we are
comparing the K2 to the Argo V the K2 should have the KDSP2, the DSP Option
also, that's another $219.00.  I just about forgot the new 60 meter band,
Elecraft doesn't offer an option for this yet, but you can modify the K2 to
operate on that band.  But I wouldn't and I won't.....don't trust the
frequency stability.  That's $1178.00 with all of the mentioned options in
the previous 2 paragraphs.  And you will never have continuous Gen. coverage
receive, AM or FM modes.

Now, if you do modify the K2 to operate on the 60 meter band I hope you have
installed the BFO mod at $10.00 and the PLL mod $19.00.  If you do those you
might as well do the PSK mod $5.00 and the matched filters mod $19.00.  Of
course none of this paragraph applies if you buy a K2 today or since about
#3000 serial number.  All of these mods plus others are included in the K2 B
serial numbers.

I guess what I am saying is that a person must first decide what or how the
radio is going to be used.  Mostly portable, like backpacking, then I would
buy the K2, actually a K1 unless SSB was a necessary mode.  It is much more
suited to this type of operating.  If for home use and general operating and
an occasional outing, then a person could buy either one and be very happy
with the results.

If you are a builder and want the very best receiver in a small package,
like to camp and backpack with a radio, then the K2 or K1 is really the best
option.  But be aware that the price is NOT less than or equal to a Argo V.
And the Argo V will still do things that the K2 will never do, and the Argo
V will do those things VERY WELL.

I have seen posts on other reflectors that complain about the Argo V not
being as good as the K2 and a lot of the reasoning doesn't even apply!  BOTH
radios are good at what they are designed to do.  The Argo V was not
designed to go head to head with the K2.  They both have their place in the
hobby of amateur radio and they both do what they are designed to do very
well.

By the way, I built, own and operator K2 #699....with everything BUT the QRO
tuner and the 100 watt amp.  I do not regret buying or building the K2.
But, that will not stop me from buying an Argo V.....that's the purchase for
October at the TenTec Hamfest....if I can wait that long.

Just tryin' to be fair and helpful with my observations and opinions.  I'm
not knocking the K2, and I don't believe I am being overly enthusiastic
toward the Argo V.  Just don't think the Argo V is getting a fair shake when
it is being compared to the K2 or other radios that are available.  By some
people anyway.

Mike - KC8WR