[TenTec] Argonaut V - I did purchase

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V - I did purchase
From: kc8wr@bright.net (Mike)
Date: Tue Jul 22 21:41:34 2003
Casey,

I guess in my rambling way what I was trying to say.  There a many
differences in both the K2 and the Argo.  What is important to me may not be
important to you.  Both satisfy the needs and wants of many different
individuals.

I built my K2 to be used "portable" as much as possible.  That is why mine
has the internal battery and the internal ATU.  It works very well with just
an end fed wire and a counterpoise.  It also works very well from motel
balconies with the Buddi Pole!  That is were the comment about portable came
from.  That's the way I use it as often as I can.  But, you are right in
saying that the K2 makes a perfectly good base operation radio and mine is
used that way also.

As for piling on all the options, I believe you brought up the K2 twins (
amp and QRO tuner in the EC2 case and separate from the K2 ).  That is the
way mine will be this fall/winter, to busy now to build the amp and QRO
tuner.  That was not meant to be a head to head comparison, just a
clarification as to total cost for such a set-up.

The bottom line is, there is plenty of room for more that one QRP style
radio.  Either kit or commercially built.  I honestly believe we are very
lucky to have the choices that we have.  I also hope that those choices
continue to be there in the future.

As for the KDSP2 versus the KAF2.  If a person is considering the K2 and
trying to figure out which options to buy, I will always suggestion putting
the money that you would spend on the KAF2 towards the KDSP2.  There is a
world of difference and the KDSP2 will always win hands down.  When you
install it, it is almost like getting a completely new and different radio.

Now, as for the Argo V.  I will buy one just because of the differences
between the 2 radios.  To me the general coverage is as important as the
internal ATU for the K2 is to you.  That makes AM a necessary feature.  The
FM mode on HF is something that I would use like you said you used general
coverage, although I have played with it a little more.

It's all determined by what you want and how you operate.  Which one is the
best, depends totally on the individual.  And that discussion will go on
forever as will the biased opinions of both sides of the fence.

The bottom line, I would never try to talk anyone into buying one over the
other.  I just think both are good radios in their own right.  Each has many
different things to offer and brings a lot of capabilities to the table.
And each one will do things that the other will never do.  It's all in what
you are looking for.

Thanks for the input and your thoughts, I hope you enjoyed the exchange as
much as I did.

Mike - KC8WR