[TenTec] Need Amplifier advice please.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Need Amplifier advice please.
From: jhurry@austin.rr.com (Dudley Hurry)
Date: Sat Jul 26 14:01:59 2003
Mike,

Unless you are really hard on an amp (run it flat out, RTTY, or AM) and you
do not tune the amp correctly, the 3CX800 are tough and stand up very well.
I have had several friends that had the 425, and Titian amps, for the most
part they have been happy..  The RF deck is not the best built, and the
powersupplies seem alittle light.   I currently run an Alpha 87a, 50 watts
gives 1500 out just about everywhere.

If you are looking for lower priced tubes, look at the Alpha 91b or 99.
Uses 4cx800s which you can find for about $120 a pair.    Or maybe you might
want to consider an amp with a 8877 , like a Ameritron AL1500 or a Alpha 77
(real workhorse)..    25 to 30 watts usually gives about 1500 out.   The
Alpha was really quite verses the AL1500..

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks and 73's,
Dudley
WA5QPZ