[TenTec] 5 mV = -67 dBm

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 5 mV = -67 dBm
From: ken.d.brown@verizon.net (Ken Brown)
Date: Sat Jul 26 17:52:45 2003
There is a standard used in telephony and analog multiplexing wherin the
value of an audio level in dB(with a suffix I cannot remember) is
expressed as it would be read on an AC RMS voltmeter with a scale
calibrated in dBm at 600 ohms, regardless of the actual impedance. In
other words an AC RMS voltmeter which has a scale that is calibrated in
decibles relative to 1 milliwatt at 600 ohms is used. A reading is taken
and the level is called dB(something). The impedance of the source or
load may be thousands of ohms or only a few ohms. So the dB(something)
value is really not equal to dBm, except in the special case where the
impedance happens to be 600 ohms. Nevertheless this way of specifiing a
level is often used. I wish I could remember what letter they follow dB
with.

Ken N6KB