[TenTec] Omni 6 mics

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6 mics
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Sun Aug 3 21:38:10 2003
Heil mics (Goldline) work great with the Omni 6 with one caveat:  you have to
have a good ground on the rig and maybe put two or three ferrite chokes on the
mic cord where it goes into the front panel.  In other words, you may have to
do a few things to keep rf out of your audio such as putting a line isolator on
the feedline coming out of the rig.  I have no idea if you have to do this
stuff with all mics or just the goldline; I had to do this with my Omni 6 and
goldline, and I've worked guys with the same setup who had rf in their tx
audio, didn't know it, and were running the mic into the rig which was poorly
grounded.  My experience--hooking it up to a cold water pipe with a thin 10
foot length of braid wasn't enough.  it has to be on a thick copper cable or
strap going out a few feet to an 8 or 10 foot long ground rod.  If the rig is
properly grounded and isolated, the heil mics sound excellent.  Also, the IHY
eq. really helps a lot too.  It's something to consider if you don't mind the
expense and operate a lot on phone.  The nice thing about the goldline is it
has the two elements in one body so you can switch between the wide ragchew
element and the narrow HC4 dx element by flipping a toggle switch on the mic.

73,
Rob Atkinson
K5UJ