[TenTec] Omni C on 17m

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni C on 17m
From: N4NT_Mike.Hyder@charter.net (Mike Hyder --N4NT--)
Date: Tue Aug 19 14:55:29 2003
About the strength of the spurs: my Omni-C on 17 meters put out 100 watts
key down and 2 or 3 with the key up.  Assume best case, the difference
between 100 watts and 2 watts of spurs is 17 dB.  So the total spurious
output would be 17 dB below the rated and actual output.  With key up, the 2
watts are 100% of the output so are not attenuated at all.  Different units
varied in the spurious output but according to Garland they tried and tried
to get acceptable performance from the Omni-C on 17 meters and never could
clean it up on most rigs, finally advising people like me to get a different
rig if I wanted to operate the 17 meter band.

You guys are beating a dead horse.  The only suggestion I've seen with merit
was that by Jerry to change the mixing scheme and that may not be feasible.
In the Omni-C, two of the bands use one crystal -- I'm not sure which two
but have the feeling one of them is 18 MHz.

Good luck and 73, Mike N4NT