[TenTec] Starting up 'stored' Titan amp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Starting up 'stored' Titan amp
From: "Allan G. Taylor" <k7gt@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:20:10 -0700
I have a Titan amp that has not been used in any way for abour four years. I am
about
to put it back into service and would like some solid advice on how to restore
the
power supply caps to serviceable condition. A local has suggested I put a Variac
(110 v variety) and go through a series of conditioning periods at slowly
increasing
voltage until I reach something like 140 V. Then put it into service with a
load. He
suggested about two hours of this cycling.

Any comments or relevant experience??

BTW: The rig was just returned from TT service and was never put back into
service. The
power transformer had blown. (It never went back into service as II was having
too much fun using the big beam at the club station on the higher HF bands and
involved in
a now concluded flirtation with QRP..)

Another comment. I just put the Herc II with 9420 power supply on. Boy is that
one
sweet number. Why oh why did TT stop making them. (Not a question really, it was
economics)

Allan K7GT
Pleasanton CA