Re: [TenTec] Noisey Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noisey Corsair II
From: "denton" <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:33:40 -0700
From: "Steve" <sswhite@mchsi.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 1:55 PM
Subject: [TenTec] Noisey Corsair II

> I have been enjoying a new Corsair II and have just recently re-built the
PTO and it is now smooth as silk, it even approaches my FT-1000MP VFO in
terms of smoothness.

> I have noticed that the Corsair II has noticeably more background noise
than my Omni-D has and I began looking around for the source of it.  It
appears that it is coming from the PBT board since.  When I disconnect the
ouput of the PBT board which goes to the IF board it quites down very well.
Of cousre some background noise is to be expected and all of my comments
relate to no antenna connected.  When I disconnect the input to the PBT
board it also has a small drop in background noise, but no where near as
dramatic as when I disconnect the PBT board from the IF stage.  It appears
to me that the noise source is really the PBT board.

> So the question is does any know of any historical problems with noisey
PBT boards or what could be causing this.  As you know the PBT board has two
mixers on it and I suspect one of those is the culprit since they can be
noisey at times..