Re: [TenTec] Keying lockup problem continued

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Keying lockup problem continued
From: "Joe" <aa4nn@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:40:30 -0400
de Joe, aa4nn,
I had similar lockup using CW with OmniVI+ and Titan.  I don't use TX EN TX OUT
lines.  Output from CW keyer goes to Titan Key-In.  Titan Key-Out goes to
Omni's Key-In.  Also input (in parallel) to Titan Key-In is a keying line from
a PC's LPT1 port which is keyed by contesting software.  I believe the lockup
problem to be RF related but not necessarily due to poorly shielded keying
lines.  Something in the PC.  Lockup would occur only on 20 meters and only
when the yagi was pointing 300-360 degrees.  <Ctl-Alt-Del> kills the PC and
kills the lockup.  Later I found if I just reduce RF drive to the Titan the
lockup would release, no need to kill the PC.  hmmmm  My fix was to not point
the yagi thataway.

The LPT1 keying interface was built directly onto a DB-25 connector with no
shielding.  Adding by-pass caps to the circuit did not help.  It never occurred
to me to try a different key line from the cheap audio cable I was using.  I
can't do further tests now because there's a different PC here, and I can't
even get a printer to work off LPT1, much less a keying circuit.
73, Joe, aa4nn