Re: [TenTec] New group for Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New group for Orion
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@fyi.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:53:19 -0400
The key question has yet to be answered:

Is there truly a need for a separate group for the Orion?

Look, there are often good reasons to set up a new group on Yahoo! or
elsewhere.  I ran into that situation a few years ago when many individuals
who were interested in a particular vintage radio manufacturer either
voluntarily or involuntarily left the original group (the particulars are
not important... well, they are to those directly involved, but not to the
point I'm trying to make).  There were sufficent numbers to justify setting
up a new reflector, it was done, and for awhile it thrived.

A further splintering of the group is what did it in -- some individuals
objected to Yahoo!'s policies after it took over eGroups.com, and took it on
themselves to set up another group elsewhere, and in the shuffle, this split
left both groups with insufficient numbers of members to thrive, resulting
in one being shut down and the other barely hanging on.

So please understand that I don't want to see THAT mess duplicated here
because a handful of people out of whatever reasons feel that they WANT a
separate Orion (or Argonaut or whatever) group but in reality don't actually
NEED one.

Oh well, at least we don't have any imaginary monster talking ambulatory
frogs floating around here...

73, ron wn3vaw

46th Annual Pennsylvania QSO Party October 11 & 12!
www.nittany-arc.org/paqso.html
Look for N3SH - Allegheny County, WA3SH - Fayette County, and NP2SH -- US
Virgin Islands!
For more information see www.washarc.org