Re: [TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:40:37 -0500
I tend to agree strongly with Stuart's comments, especially on the area of
concern regarding holding up in the WX.  I  lived in S. FL for several years
and found the most metals would fail sooner than latter when exposed to the
elements of Mother Nature.

And yes, verticals do require a good ground system.  This is in spite of
what some say about not needing a ground radial system.  Then there is the
discussion of what comprises a good ground system.  The poorer the soil
conductivity the more radials and thus better ground system required.

My bet for all around operating, a simple 1/2 wave center fed wire for the
lowest frequency.  Feed it with good balanced feed line from a balanced
tuner.  Avoid the 4:1 balun syndrome.  Or a choke balun made of some good
quality RG-213 coax does an outstanding job of getting from a unbalanced
tuner output to a balanced feed line.

73
Bob, K4TAX

.