RE: [TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical
From: jhgraves@gis.net
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:56:29 -0400
I have been using the R series since the R-3 and currently my main
antenna is a R-7.  I have been very happy with this antenna.  It
simulates an end-fed half wave, as opposed to the center fed Gap
Antennas.  In either case, you don't want to ground the end. The
behavior of the antenna really goes to pot.  Yes, I realize that there
is a DC ground through the matching network, but that network provides
RF isolation for the antenna.

>From an operational viewpoint, there are pluses and minuses. It does
hear in all directions, so you don't have the advantage of swinging the
antenna to eliminate unwanted signals.  However, a vertical will have a
relatively lower take-off angle compared to a horizontal antenna at the
same height.  From my perspective, it means that I could work the bands
earlier and later than I could with my G5RV, which I also had for my
years. Although generally, vertical antennas are somewhat noisier, I
have not thought of this as a major problem.  IMHO, the physical
construction on the Cushcraft is a little beter than on the Gap.  If you
are looking for an antenna that will be easy to erect (and we know all
hams are interested in erections), and will have a small footprint and
easy to maintain, I don't think you need to go further than either the
Gap or the R-9.

John Graves
WB1EHL