RE: [TenTec] Why I bought an Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Why I bought an Orion
From: "John T. Fleming" <W3GQJ@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:45:20 -0500
I bought an Orion because I had seen one August of 2002 at an Old Timer's
picnic and thought it was an excellent radio, even though it was a beta
version.

I bought my first Ten-Tec in the middle 1970's, a Triton II.  In 1980, I
bought my Omni D.  I used the Omni D until this past spring when I bought a
Jupiter.  Knowing that all of the Jupiter signals were generated with DSP
processing, I became more intrigued with the Orion and the roofing filters.
I am retired and decided to buy what I considered the best transceiver
available on the market.  I hope it lasts me 20 years like the Omni.  I
still have the Omni.

I also have the privilege of have lunch on Tuesdays with Al Kahn, K4FW.
When I see the values that he instilled in Ten-Tec and that I had
experienced for many years, there was never any question about what radio I
would buy.

I use mine on both phone and CW, mainly in traffic handling, but I just
ordered a tower and beam.  Soon I will be able to test the radio in some
contests.  I also like to experiment.  I have modified the Jupiter to route
the digital IF to the spare RCA connector on the back.  I can copy the DRM
broadcasts with this mod.  I plan to do the same with the Orion sub
receiver.

I also like that the Orion, Jupiter, Pegasus, and Argonaut V can be easily
updated for any ham band changes.  I have enjoyed the new 60 meter band.  It
is nice to know that I have a radio that is capable of operating any amateur
bands between 1.8 and 30 MHz with only software upgrade.

73,
John