[TenTec] I almost made it through w/Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] I almost made it through w/Orion
From: "Jeff Griffin" <jeff.griffin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:45:19 -0500
 Whew, what a great contest. My Orion with Carl's software performed almost
flawlessly. The receive on weak sig's next to strong one's is unbelievable!
I was having a problem with my 40m antenna setup, I suspect I'm getting some
RF into the shack on one of my antennas. I experienced this last night, the
Orion would suddenly change bands while I was transmitting. Well I worked my
goal by late morning, took a break and then just worked pileups for the
multiplier's. Later on I decided to check my ground system then try to work
40m again. All was going well , worked several EU's on 40m, then it happened
again. I jumped frequency, and the Orion started acting sluggish. Turn the
main tuning knob, and the freq would lag behind on the display. Also the
sweep display would take over 10 seconds to start, normally it is under a
second. Also some of the indicator lights on the front wouldn't light. I
then did a  reset, both ways, nogo. I had to reinstall the 1.365 firmware, I
had com errors first try, second try went ok. Also, every first time I try
to install latest firmware, I get a 'firmware not for Pegasus' message. Now
I used to own a Peg so I'm assuming there is a reference to it in a system
INI file somewhere? This happens every time I do a firmware update now.
After the reinstall, I then lost all memory settings, I mean all the stored
default band vfo's have 0.000.000 in them!  I have to use the n4py software
to put data into the bands, or enter from the keypad.  This happened 30
minutes before the end of the contest. After getting back up, I made one
more QSO.

73 Jeff kb2m