Re: [TenTec] 3KC Spacing / K0CQ reply

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 3KC Spacing / K0CQ reply
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:05:15 -1000
I agree that wider spacing between SSB signals is generally better. And 5 kHz spacing is plenty. When the band gets busy, either from lots of activity, or from SW BC stations in the case of 40 meters, it may become necessary to get a little closer. With most good SSB rigs 3.0 kHz spacing will still be plenty. Unless one of the signals you are having to get close to is very strong or very broad, 3.0 kHz spacing will be just as good as 5 kHz. When it gets even more crowded, we can squeeze even closer and 2 kHz spacing will be usable. This is especially true if we use 1.8 kHz filters (in the 6.3 MHz IF on an Omni) and adjust our PBT carefully. The adjustment of the PBT may need to be changed for listening to different operators on the same frequency, due to their voice characteristics. If one of the adjacent signals is using 2.8 kHz filter in their transmit IF, instead of 2.4 kHz, that station will be making it more difficult than it has to be, for the sake of hi-fi audio, even though the other stations in QSO with him are likely using their narrower filters and not hearing all of his extra wide signal.

The above is oversimplified, in that it says nothing about the steepness of filter skirts. Nevertheless the principals are valid. I still maintain that QSO spacing is a dynamic process, and skilled operators adjust to fit the conditions. The use of wider filters in the transmitter make the situation more difficult when the band gets crowded.

On the other hand, with CW more signals closer in just makes for a greater sense of community, instead of an annoyance. As long as they are not too close or too strong, I like hearing other CW QSOs in my receiver passband. My psycoaccoustic signal processing deals with them nicely.

DE N6KB