Re: [TenTec] Inrad Mods/ Reply to Ken Brown

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad Mods/ Reply to Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 06:50:38 -1000
Well I must admit that I believe there is a place for wideband voice modes, either SSB, DSB or AM on the HF bands. I would hope that people who modify their radios to operate this way don't use them when the band is crowded. Either stay off the air in those conditions or have another radio that is narrow band voice grade for crowded conditons. If you want wideband SSB, why not use a phasing type exciter like a Central electronics 10B or 20A. How about independant sideband stereo?

I don't think we should have a FCC rule about it. We should just be considerate in our operating. 73 N6KB

KD7EFQ@aol.com wrote:

Well, I can see there are at least two schools of thought here. One who thinks that SSB is for communications grade audio only, and those who think SSB should sound better than it does. If im operating in a ragchew, and there are courteous operators giving us room on either side of an ongoing QSO (hahaha) then 2.8 wide shouldn't be a problem. If it such a big deal, maybe the FCC should follow the petition to limit SSB to 2.8kc's wide and AM to 5.8kc's wide as has been proposed. 73, Todd _______________________________________________