Re: [TenTec] Inrad Mods/ Reply to Ken Brown

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad Mods/ Reply to Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:21:42 -1000
Hi Al and all,

The point I was trying to make is that in an Omni VI your SSB transmit bandwidth is limited only by the "roofing" filter and the Narrow 9 MHz IF filter is cascaded with it for receiving ONLY. If someone decides to widen their TX bandwidth by changing the standard Ten-Tec 2.4 kHz filter for a wider one, they should be aware of the fact that their SSB TX bandwidth will always be the as wide as that filter regardless of which narrow filter they have selected (or not) in either the 9 MHz IF or the 6.3 MHz IF. Is the difference between 2.4 kHz and 2.8 kHz a big deal? That depends on band conditions and what kind of operation you are doing. Once the wider filter is installed, you're stuck with it for your transmit bandwidth, on that radio, until you change it back. That might be okay for some people. Maybe they only operate when the bands are fairly lightly loaded, or maybe they use another radio for contest operation or DXing, or maybe they don't care if they unnecessarily QRM others. Best that they understand what they are doing though. I also asked whether the same is true of the OMNI VI +, that only the one filter is ever in the transmit signal path. Never got an answer on that. I expect that is the case. Newer radios with transmit bandwidth controls? Yes that is great, especially if the operators understand how to use them. Is wider more natural TX bandwidth nice, and more natural sounding? Yes absolutely, I like it too. Should we use our radios that way in all conditions? Absolutely not! And that is why I don't think it is generally a good idea to make a radio work that way all the time.

DE N6KB