Re: [TenTec] Re Orion on Elecraft's Receiver Summary Page

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re Orion on Elecraft's Receiver Summary Page
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:22:52 -0500
One problem with most of today's HF transceivers is that they can't be run off portable battery supplies for more than an hour or so. This does not make much since to some of us that see small, compact, light weight HF transceivers that would be perfect for camping, carrying on trips etc. except that they draw an AMP or more current on receive!
The ARGO V, FT100D, even the FT817 draw way too much receive current.

If you look at their schematic diagrams you will see lots and lots of IC's, and transistors that are active during receive. This is why the Elecraft and transceivers like it are popular. Not for contesting necessarily. To tell you the truth the most significant factor in contesting is really the operator.

One solution to this would be to have an optional auxiliary low power (lower performance) receiver that could be plugged in or attached to the outside (if small enough) that could be controlled by the same front panel controls as the main receiver while shutting down the rest of the transceiver.

On transmit the power consumption of all of these radios is about the same AMPS/Watt at full output.So that is not much of an issue.

The main reason I did not buy a ARGO V was the high power consumption during the receive and the lack of true noise blanking ( often have power line noise in my neighborhood). I looked at the specs and even bought the manual so I could study the design and decided that they perhaps took the typical Japanese approach of having people design specific bits of the radio and then having them all put together to make the final product with out concern for the parts count or power consumption. Why make a small compact radio that consumes so much power? You don't have filaments to light up nor does everyone need a battery operated hand warmer.

Basically I am all for Ten Tec but I do have a problem with this particular product and hope they come up with the answer in the future. They are the last real American Ham Radio manufacturer and have come up with amazing products given their size and number of engineers employed. They make kits too.

73
Bill wa4lav

At 08:34 AM 12/3/2003 -1000, you wrote:
It was written:

> At 150-200ma receive current, and a transceiver that
> runs off batteries and fits in a backpack, the specs
> of that little K2 are only marginally second to that
> massive fire breathing Orion contest machine. If I was
> Elecraft, it would stay at the top of my list - hi.
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/K2_perf.htm
>
> Maybe they should move Orion to the top of their list.

Looking at the Elecraft comparisons,  occurs to me that
the IMPORTANT numbers are superior with the Orion, in
particular look at the dramatically better phase noise number
for the Orion.

Also,  note that if the ARRL "forced" the 500 Hz roofing filter
into the chain,  rather than using just the DSP 500 Hz filter,
this would increase the gain of the "system" which lowers both
IP3 and IMD3.

It is not clear whether the ARRL did this or not during the actual
tests;  however,  they do note that the noise level was increased,
probably because of this added gain when they did use the
500 Hz roofing filter.

>From what I am hearing,  both DX operators
and Contest users of the Orion prefer to leave the 1kHz
roofing filter in line when using the DSP filter for selectivity
in their pursuits.  If true,  then some of the added gain TT has put
in the chain when the 500 Hz roofing filter is used,  to
make up for the insertion loss could be added directly to both
numbers.  I understand that about 15 dB of gain is added when
either the 250 or 500 Hz roofers are selected,  and that the
insertion loss of each is different:  I believe the 250 Hz filter
is some 12 dB of loss and the 500 Hz about 10 dB;  some one
will know the exact numbers.  Anyway,  if the 500 Hz filter does
have only 10 dB of loss,  and TT adds 15 dB of gain,  the net
system gain is up'd by 5 dB -- this lowers both the IP3 and IMD3
ranges by the same number of dB,  5.

If all of the above is near "fact", then when using the 1kHz or wider
roofing filters,  you can consider the IP3 and IMD3 numbers to be
5 dB better than the ARRL measured.  However,  again we do not
KNOW what the ARRL test techs did..... they just don't say in the
applicable text discussion,  nor as a footnote to the test data
table.

Anyone used the K2 in the CQWW CW test and scored big as
Scott did with an Orion?  Anyone want to use a K2 in such a
real competitive effort with the tiny buttons and dials?

73, Jim KH7M