RE: [TenTec] Orion in CQWW CW

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion in CQWW CW
From: "Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:14:05 -0500
Bill,

I'll make a fuller report soon, but the Orion did well for me too. I agree
it wasn't magical enough to get rid of the lids who plunked down 50 Hz from
my run frequency, but it did fine in most other respects. No question that
the front end held up marvelously well under severely crowded band
conditions. Using a DSP setting of about 300 Hz I was able to squeeze in
between loud stations on 40m -- never been able to do that with 250 Hz
filters on other rigs because the ringing and insertion loss would kill any
chance of hearing weak stations. The only problem is that everyone else
isn't running an Orion, so some would complain when I got too close. Once I
got used to it, the Binaural RX was incredible for dealing with large
pileups. By the way, several times the NB was amazingly effective at
eliminating those horrible key clicks. I would have to say that I didn't
hear the usual number of clicks this year, which leads me to believe that
with other rigs at least half the "clicks" are due to failure of the front
end. The ones that got through this weekend were must have originated at the
transmit end. Try the NB sometime -- I couldn't believe how well it works
for this.

I must also put in a plug for my trusty 1000D, which got demoted from run
radio to S&P radio. It's wonderful for S&P and puts the 1000MP I was using
for that purpose to shame.

73, Dick WC1M