[TenTec] Pegasus back to the question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus back to the question
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:08:11 +0000
To TT marketing read - this:
Now only if somebody  would put Orion caliber
performance in a no panel box like the Peg is with
Ethernet interfacing. Then with some creative software
such radio could take the contester and DX'er crowd by
storm.

Duane
N9DG

I hate to say it, because I wish it weren't true in a way, but when Jupiter came out, Peg sales dropped noticably. A majority of hams seemed to prefer front panel rigs. Like you, I wish an alternative continues to be out there because it may appeal to the under (arbitrary number here) 35 set. Apparently most currently licensed hams like me (on HF anyway), are old dogs for whom a plain box next to a monitor is not the ham radio experience we know and love. I've tried the box--personally I need real knobs and meters; not a GUI.

But, if radios become totally software driven and modular you may someday order your rig the way you order a pc from Dell on the Web: One radio for which each customer chooses from a wide variety of options with prices to match, resulting in the sale of anything ranging from an Argonaut to an Orion with or without a front panel.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ