Re: [TenTec] Future Tentec gear

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Future Tentec gear
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:13:45 +0000
K5KVH says 42 Volts will be a mobile standard, and my local rumor mill says
48V, with a 24 cell battery with the same or very similar dimensions to a
standard #24 battery. This supposedly will lighten cars by some hundreds of
pounds of wiring. Hopefully the alternator will still churn out up to 3400
Watts to power for all the car's built in accessories plus our ham gear.

But whether it's 42V or 48V - either will make designing and building a high
power amplifier simpler since the current draw will be less by a factor of 3.5
to 4. And an AC power supply can be made much lighter for the same reason.

However, I hope the new generation of high power devices is quieter than the
last bunch I had anything to do with. Between shot and partition noise they got
really noisy, really fast. And that's one of the reasons I tend to frown on 200
Watt rigs. Every one of them I have tried were noisy enough to make operating a
second station in the neighborhood difficult.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E