Re: [TenTec] Lightning, RF and Grounding [WAS - PS grounding]

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lightning, RF and Grounding [WAS - PS grounding]
From: "Mike Sloan" <gu3whn@cwgsy.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:28:04 -0000
I have been watching this thread for some time and hope you do not mind if I
add my thoughts.  This seems a good time to comment.

I'm not at all sure what the electicity service is in the USA but I guess
that there may be other nationals on this list.

Here in Guernsey we have a mains service similar to the UK.  It is now
common for mains feeds into properties to have all earths bonded together
with other properties, in the near vicinity, on the heavy duty screening
cable for the main feed.  This screen is bonded to earth potential at the
power station some miles away.  In this approach, there is a serious risk to
the amateur who then earths his station via a ground stake.

There is an excellent article on this topic, written some years ago in the
RSGB journal, called "The killing fields"

Under normal circumstances, nothing happens.  If however, the bond between a
nearby property is accidently severed, then it is highly probable that the
only path to earth for the properties still linked is via the amateur's
earth stake, with disasterous consequences.

Here at my various QTH's the bond to the sleeve has always been removed and
a new ground stake is inserted as the only earth for my property.  My radio
earth consists of a number (20) of short stainless steel rods connected
together with stainless steel wire.

On other points raised, apart from the more obvious ones of water ingress
and physical damage, there is good advice given about never placing a ground
stake into the concrete base of a tower.  A direct lightening strike is said
to be likely to shatter the base into fragments by rapidly and violently
boiling off any moisture.  This may also hold true for basements.   It has
also been argued that most lightening protectors don't protect.

Finally, is not a lightening conductor a lightening repeller?

Not being an expert, I trust that you will accept my comments in good faith.
Hi!

With very best wishes for the Season.

73 de Mike