[TenTec] Orion--K2--706 & SSB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion--K2--706 & SSB
From: KD7EFQ@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:11:05 EST
Hello, Well first of all, I wouldn't buy an IC706MkIIG as I found out they
say in the manual not to operate the rig below +14 deg.F and several friends
have had problems with them here in the Rocky Mountain winters. It may be a
fine
rig in Miami Beach, FL. But not stout enough for WY.

Second, for SSB ops, ( yes, SSB is actually a mode..:-) Orion has much better
recieve audio than the K2 from what I've read / heard. You can blather on all
you like about IP2, T.O.I. etc. but in the real world, one of the most
important user interfaces, especially on SSB is how well a rig sounds audio
wise.
comparing K2 to Orion audio wise is the same as comparing an Omni 6+ to a TS870
IC756PII etc. Not that the Omni is bad, it's just communications grade audio.
The fuller and richer the audio (While staying 2.8Kc's wide or less, not
3-4kc's wide like the Wi-Fi SSB spectrum hogs) the easier it is for me to
understand the weak ones. 73.